Monday, March 15, 2010

Cheesecake tears...

Catchy title today, eh? I'll explain that in a minute.....

Friday night, the twins went to a "slumber party" at Apex, so we dropped them off and then I decided we should do something fun for the other 2 girls, so we decided to go out to dinner. (that was our first mistake.) Our second mistake came when we opted for a restaurant instead of McD's or something, having Jack with us. We ended up at Friday's. During the wait for our table, Jack was not interested in quietly sitting on my lap. Nor was he interested in patiently standing next to me. This led to a lot of whining and arching his back, so I finally got up and walked with him outside. Now, I should say that Ben had already admitted in the car to being in a bad mood....but he didn't know why, so that wasn't helping either. We finally get seated and we're both irritated. Him in his mood and me with Jack. It was not an enjoyable dinner, to say the least, but I did find some comfort in the fact that I had ordered the 3-course meal where you get the appetizer/meal/dessert deal. So, after a long, excruciating meal, we're finally ready to leave. I'd asked the waitress to please box my chocolate/peanut butter pie and I'd eat it at home. Now, Ben is now in a better mood, but mine sucks b/c he's brought me down with his original mood and Jack's antics are grating on my last nerve! So, we leave and it's pouring down rain. He goes to get the van and I traipse out with the kids and toss them in the van (not really) and off we go. We get halfway home and I turned to him and said, "Did you grab the bag of leftovers/my dessert?" and his response was "No." I'm seriously holding back tears. That was just the last straw for me. We're driving home and I'm trying sooooo hard not to cry over dessert. Sigh......Life does go on....I guess.

So, weekends pretty much suck right now. With Ben's paper route, Saturdays are shot. I take Abby to ballet in the mornings and then he usually has to go to the plant in the afternoon to do all the "pre-stuffing" of papers for that night. Sundays are our only source of real time together. This led to "near tears" moment #2 for the weekend. I feel like Ben's always running off somewhere....whether it's to get gas for his car, cigarettes (he's trying to quit) or running to his Mom's for something. He's very close to his stepdad. It's much more of a friendship than it is a father/son relationship, seeing as how Ben has a dad. So, when his stepdad called yesterday and wanted him to "come over and play" I was instantly on high alert. I resent this big time! We hardly get time together and when we do, there are 5 billion kids around! So, he at first says he's not going and then after a bit it was "Well......I do need to borrow Craig's ladder and drop off some stuff he can burn in the fire pit, etc." Yeah, yeah......his biggest reasoning being that he needed the ladder to clean out the outdoor dryer vent, which was clogged and could lead to a fire hazard, etc. So, off he goes and doesn't return for 2 1/2 hours. I'm feeling quite irritated that he can't seem to do this stuff during the week. Everyday but Tuesday, he is alone from 8-4. Why is it when I'm home that he needs to get this stuff done???? Long story short, I expressed this to him last night. I fought back the tears and he admitted I was right and Sundays would be for us from now on. God love him! I hope he sticks to that!

That's pretty much the extent of my weekend. I did have lunch with Paige on Saturday after Abby's class. I hadn't seen her in awhile since our plans for my birthday weekend fell through, thanks to my bedrest!

Abby has counseling again tonight. Thinking I'll take her to McD's on the way. Just Mommy and her. I felt so bad last week when Ben was getting her ready for me to pick her up after work, he just told her she was going somewhere with me and she assumed it was the park or something. Broke my heart at how sad she was. lol. So, I thought I'd try and make our "outing" a bit more fun this time!

Looking forward to the warmer weather again at the end of the week! Yay! :)

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Girl, I would cry over cheesecake right now if I knew I left it somewhere. I can't imagine being pregnant and leaving my dessert somewhere. :( We've also vowed not to ever go out to eat again with our boys....but we always do cuz somehow we forget that one of them always acts like a monkey. You're doing great....don't let it get you down.

I'm glad you let Ben know how you feel. That's the best way to work on a relationship....HONESTY!

Love ya girl! Hope counseling went well!

Missy said...

I agree with Kelley....being honest and telling Ben how you were really feeling is the best thing for both of you. Men don't get it unless we SPELL it out for them! So, yay for that!

And I agree on the dessert....I would've been sending Ben out for some dessert from somewhere...you are eating for two, afterall!!!!

Love ya!!!!